In addition to applying tags in your CRM, a core feature of WP Fusion is the ability to sync data bidirectionally between WordPress user records and CRM contact records.
This is managed from the Contact Fields tab in the WP Fusion settings.
In the left column are all the fields that WP Fusion has detected in WordPress. To help finding fields easier these are grouped into collapsable sections based on the plugin that registered the field.
In the right column are dropdowns where you can select a corresponding custom field in your CRM.
How data is synced
WP Fusion can either “push” data from WordPress to your CRM, or “pull” data from your CRM to WordPress.
A “push” happens when someone registers a user account or updates their profile. All the enabled WordPress fields on the left are sent to the CRM fields on the right.
A “pull” can happen in a few scenarios:
- When a webhook is received
- When someone logs in and Login Meta Sync is enabled
- When a page is loaded that has the [wpf_update_meta] shortcode on it
When that happens any fields that are enabled in the right column on the Contact Fields list are loaded via an API call and saved to their corresponding WordPress fields in the database.
For each field there is a Type dropdown where you can tell WP Fusion how to treat the data in that field. These are detected automatically for most plugin integrations and don’t usually need to be changed, but if needed you can click on the type and select a new type from a dropdown to override the defaults.
Generally text type fields are the most compatible. What the other types do depend on your connected CRM. For example:
- If a field type is set to checkbox then the value will be converted to a boolean “true” or “false” when the API call is sent to supported CRMs
- If a field type is set to multiselect then array-formatted data sent to ActiveCampaign will be separated with pipes || to properly update ActiveCampaign list box fields
- If a field type is set to country then a country abbreviation will be sent to your CRM, which is compatible with the Country dropdowns in Infusionsoft, Mautic, and others. If it’s set to text the full country name will be sent instead.
- If a field type is set to date then a date sent to HubSpot will be converted to a Unix timestamp to properly update a HubSpot datepicker field
At the bottom of the Contact Fields list is a section called Additional Fields.
This contains any meta fields that were found in your database but aren’t associated with a particular plugin integration.
For the most part you can leave this section alone, but if you’re trying to sync data to your CRM from a plugin that WP Fusion doesn’t have an official integration with, you may find the field keys here.
If you’re not using the Additional Fields you can hide them completely by checking the box for Hide Additional Fields on the Advanced settings tab.
If you’re a developer and are creating custom registration or profile forms, you can also type in new field keys into the Add new field line. The field you enter here should match the input name on your form. When the form is submitted, if WP Fusion detects an input with the matching name, then the value will be synced to the corresponding field in your CRM.