In case you haven’t heard, BuddyBoss is launching an app 🥳. The app currently works with the following membership plugins:
- WooCommerce Memberships
- Wishlist Member
- LearnDash Groups & Memberships
Of course we have received many inquiries along the lines of, Why isn’t WP Fusion supported??
That’s because, as we often say, WP Fusion isn’t really a membership plugin.
When BuddyBoss talks about MemberPress being “supported”, that means the MemberPress checkout pages, account area, login form, update credit card process, and all the standard MemberPress interfaces have been ported over to the app architecture.
WP Fusion doesn’t add anything to the frontend of your site. So there’s nothing that needs to be converted to work within the app.
#So WP Fusion will work exactly the same?
Not exactly. And do note that this is largely conjecture until January when we’ve had a chance to try out the finished app, but here’s how we think WP Fusion will work.
#Will definitely work
These features we’re quite certain will work with the app:
- Anything related to syncing data or custom fields bidirectionally with your CRM (tested, and works with the app ✅)
- Anything related to an event in another plugin, such as a WooCommerce purchase applying a tag, a LearnDash course completion applying a tag, a MemberPress subscription cancellation, etc. (tested and works ✅)
- Any “linked tags” or automated enrollments, for example applying a CRM tag to auto-enroll a user into a social group, course, or membership level (tested and works ✅)
That’s because all of these features run by interfacing with your database and the respective plugins. They aren’t affected by what theme you’re using, or whether the user is on your website or in the app.
- Protecting access to content by showing a restricted content message (tested and works ✅)
- Showing and hiding content using shortcodes (tested and works ✅)
- Hiding restricted items using the Filter Queries tool (tested and works ✅)
- Personalizing LearnDash course content using the Filter Course Steps feature (tested and works ✅)
These features should work because they affect the “content” of your pages, lessons, and other content. When the app loads the content from your server over the REST API, WP Fusion will check to see if the user has the proper access, and modify the retrieved data accordingly.
However these features may not work properly if the BuddyBoss app caches the same lesson content for multiple users. In that case it’s likely we’ll be able to make adjustments on our end to bypass that cache and preserve the functionality.
These features almost certainly won’t work with the app:
- Using WP Fusion to redirect a user to another page if access to a piece of content is denied. This is because the app isn’t a web browser, so redirects won’t work (tested, and does not work 🚫)
- Login redirects with the Logins Addon (tested, and does not work 🚫)
- Hiding app menu items based on the access rules for the associated content, using the Hide From Menus feature (tested, and does not work 🚫)
Anything that happens within the user’s web browser (like redirects or tracking page views or clicks) won’t work within the app, because the app is not a web browser.
However the app will include an option to embed a “web fallback” page from the mobile version of your site, and these features will still work there.
1 thought on “How will WP Fusion work with the BuddyBoss App?”
Thanks for the info Jack. Can’t wait to test it.