If you’re using the EDD Recurring Payments extension, WP Fusion provides additional options for applying tags based on changes in a user’s subscription status.
You can then use these tags to trigger automation sequences in your CRM to remind users to update their credit card information, offer discounts on subscription renewals, or anything else you like.
This functionality is in addition to the main Easy Digital Downloads integration.
WP Fusion adds a new settings metabox to all Easy Digital Downloads products where you can configure tags to be applied at purchase and based on subscription status.
The tags specified in the Apply Tags setting will be applied when someone purchases the subscription product, as well as when a subscription status changes to Active.
By checking Remove Tags you can remove the tags applied at purchase when a subscription is cancelled, completed, or expired. This is useful for revoking access to protected content when a subscription is cancelled.
You can also apply additional tags based on a change in the subscription status, allowing you to trigger followup sequences in your CRM when customers’ subscriptions are cancelled, put on hold, or expire.
If you allow free trials, the tags specified in Subscription in Trial will be applied when a new trial is created, in addition to the Apply Tags tags. If the subscription later converts to a paid subscription (the status changes from
active) the tags specified in Trial Converted will be applied.
#Tags for price variations
For more granular control, WP Fusion also lets you apply tags when a subscription status changes for a specific price variation. See the screenshot below for an example.
#Subscription status changes
WP Fusion will apply and remove tags depending on changes in a user’s subscription status. That logic works like:
- If an active subscription is either set to Completed, Failing, Cancelled, or Expired, and Remove Tags is checked, the tags applied with the original purchase will be removed. This includes the tags applied for the price ID (if applicable).
- If a subscription is in any non-active status (Completed, Failing, Expired, Cancelled etc.) and the status becomes Active again, the tags for all the other statuses will be removed. The tags applied with the original purchase will be re-applied if the user doesn’t already have those tags.
- If a subscription changes between any two statuses that aren’t Active, the tags will be applied for the new status, but no tags will be removed.
Using the Event Tracking addon, you can track Easy Digital Downloads product purchases and subscription status changes as events in supported CRMs.
Events can be configured in two places. On an individual download, in the WP Fusion metabox:
Or in the Event Tracking global settings:
The available triggers for event tracking with Easy Download Digitals are:
- Purchased Download: Triggered each time a single download is purchased.
- Downloaded Download: Triggered whenever a file from this download is downloaded.
When Recurring Payments is active, an additional trigger is available:
- Subscription Status Changed: Triggered when a customer’s subscription status changes.